- multipass l60
- User Manual
Canon multipass l60 User Manual
Summary of Contents of user manual for Canon multipass l60
- Page 1: ❏ Other User Assistance
- Page 2: ❏ Changing the Printer Port Canon MultiPASS™ L60
Desktop Manager for Windows
Software User's Guide
- Page 3: • Setting Other Print Options Copyright
© 1998 by Canon, Inc. All rights reserved.
This manual may not be reproduced in any form, in...
- Page 4: • Viewing Documents in the Desktop Manager Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction .................................................................................................... 1-1
Desktop Manager Features: an Overview ................................................... 1-2
Desktop Manager Software Package ........................................................... 1-3...
- Page 5: • Printing a Fax Cover PageChapter 5 PC Faxing ......................................................................................................... 5-1
Faxing with Your Computer .......................................................................... 5-2
Sending a Fax from Your Computer (PC Faxing)...
- Page 6: Mode Adjusting Contrast and Brightness ..................................................... 6-19
Changing Gamma Curve Values ......................................................... 6-20
Adjusting Histogram Tone Levels ...................................................... 6-21
- Page 7: • Printing the Document Setting Up Receive Fax Options .......................................................... 8-10
Setting Up Advanced Receive Fax Options ....................................... 8-12
Setting Up Speed Dial...
- Page 8: • Reinstalling the Desktop Manager Introduction
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase of the Canon MultiPASS
L60 and accompanying MultiPASS Desktop...
- Page 9: The Print Quality Is Not Satisfactory.Desktop Manager Features: an Overview
The following list presents an overview of some of the features of the
- Page 10 Introduction
You can export any document from the Desktop Manager as a graphic
in a .TIF file format.
- Page 11 ❏ L60 Printer Driver
The L60 printer driver allows you to use the L60 as the default printer
- Page 12 Introduction
To successfully install and operate the Desktop Manager with the L60,
your system must meet the...
- Page 13Conventions Used in This Guide
The following types of formatting identify specific types of information
provided in this guide.
- Page 14 Introduction
Other User Assistance
In addition to this guide, the following user assistance provides
information and instructions on using...
- Page 151-8 Introduction Chapter 1
- Page 16 Chapter 2
Installing the Desktop Manager
This chapter contains information and instructions for...
- Page 17Installing the Software
When you install the printer driver and Desktop Manager, you are also
installing the fax and scan...
- Page 18 • Your preferred mode for receiving faxes with the L60:
Automatically switching between a telephone and fax calls,
- Page 19 n If you are attempting to reinstall the Desktop Manager software, you
must first uninstall your current installation of the...
- Page 20 Method #2: Manual Installation
If AutoRun is turned off on your computer, or if your CD-ROM drive
- Page 21 n During the installation procedure, follow these guidelines:
Press Next to move from one screen to the next.
- Page 22Setting the Default Printer
When you installed the printer driver software, the system automatically
sets the L60 as the default...
- Page 23 To change the default port:
1. On the Windows desktop, click Start, and then point to Settings.
- Page 24 Chapter 3
Printing with the L60
This chapter contains information and instructions for printing a
document from a Windows...
- Page 25Printing a Document
Once you have installed the software, you are ready to print a
document— from a Windows application,...
- Page 26Printing Envelopes
When printing envelopes, use the following guidelines to achieve the best
❏ Use the appropriate size envelope:...
- Page 27 To load envelopes:
1. Prepare the envelopes.
Arrange the stack of envelopes on a firm surface and press down...
- Page 28 3. Adjust the paper guides to the stack of envelopes.
Printing with the
4. Move the paper delivery...
- Page 29Changing the Printer Settings
Print options consist of settings that determine the type of output for
your document. As mentioned...
- Page 30Setting Paper Options
When printing a document, you can set the orientation, paper size, and
1. In the...
- Page 31 If you want a custom paper size, refer to the next section for
4. Under Media Type, select...
- Page 32 2. Under Save Custom Size, in the Unit list box, select the unit of measure
by which you want...
- Page 33 2. Under Print Quality, specify whether you want to print graphics with
a lower or higher resolution.
- Page 34 4. If you selected Custom as your print model, click Option. For detailed
instructions, refer to the next section....
- Page 35 • Fine
To use a small pattern of dots that creates a smooth appearance
with an average range of...
- Page 36 Printing with the
Using the Setup Analyser
When you print a document, you may want to have the...
- Page 37 Toner Saving
The Toner Saving option enables you to print documents from Windows
applications with your L60 using a...
- Page 38 4. Drag the setting icon from Save Current Setting to one of the
positions (docks) under Saved Settings. You...
- Page 393-16 Printing with the L60 Chapter 3
- Page 40 Chapter 4
Using the Desktop Manager
This chapter provides an overview of the basic features of the Desktop
- Page 41Desktop Manager: an Overview
The MultiPASS Desktop Manager is a full-featured Windows application
that enables you to use your L60...
- Page 42 To open the MultiPASS Desktop Manager:
1. On the Windows desktop, click Start, and then point to Programs.
- Page 43 ❏ Menu Bar
The menu bar contains commands that enable you to perform the
various Desktop Manager tasks. Some...
- Page 44 The width of the work area can be adjusted by dragging the border
between the work area and folders...
- Page 45 ❏ Status Bar
The status bar displays information about the selected document or
folder, or a description of the...
- Page 46 In Box Folder
The In Box folder stores all incoming faxes, that is, all documents that
were sent to...
- Page 47User-Defined Folders
You can create an unlimited number of folders for your own use. These
folders are listed immediately following...
- Page 48 To open a folder:
In the folders list, click the desired folder.
Document View presents each individual...
- Page 49 List View
List View presents the documents within the open folder as a list. Each
document on the list...
- Page 50 You can change the order of the listed documents in the user-defined
folders. Typically, documents in user-defined folders are...
- Page 514-12 Using the Desktop Manager Chapter 4
- Page 52 Chapter 5
This chapter provides information and instructions for sending and
receiving a fax, setting up the...
- Page 53Faxing with Your Computer
You can use the Desktop Manager, with the L60, to send and receive faxes.
- Page 54 To send a PC fax:
1. Within your Windows application, with the document open, click the
- Page 55 • For a one-time recipient, enter the appropriate name and fax
number information in the Last Name, First Name,...
- Page 56 • To close the dialog box without sending the fax, canceling any
fax options, click Cancel.
The MultiPASS Desktop...
- Page 57 Removing a Fax Recipient
You can remove a recipient included in the Recipients list box by clicking
- Page 58 Defining Send Fax Options
The following sections provide additional information on defining the
optional send fax options.
- Page 59 Entering the Information for the Fax Sender
To identify the sender of the PC fax, you enter your name...
- Page 60 Processing the Fax
You can send your fax—either now or later—only when at least one
recipient is specified. If...
- Page 61Creating a Fax Memo
A fax memo is generally a brief, one-page fax sent directly from the
Desktop Manager, without...
- Page 62 3. When you have finished your entries, process the fax.
• To process the fax for immediate sending, click...
- Page 63 ❏ Print the fax directly from the L60
If you prefer, you can set the L60 to automatically print...
- Page 64Using the Fax Log
The Fax Log contains a list of the fax activity (faxes sent and received) for
- Page 65 To print the Fax Log:
1. In the Fax Log dialog box, click Print.
2. In the print dialog...
- Page 66Features of the Address Book
This section provides an overview of the basics of the Address Book
- Page 67Working with Address Book Entries
When open, the Address Book displays a list of the address entries you
- Page 68 To add or edit an individual entry:
1. With the Address Book open, click the command to add or...
- Page 69 • If adding a new entry, click Add.
• If editing an entry, click Replace.
• To cancel without...
- Page 70 The dialog box provides the same fields of information, whether you
are adding or editing a group entry. When...
- Page 71 Using a Group Address
When you specify a group address when sending a fax, the individual
addresses for the...
- Page 72Importing the Address Book
You may have an existing address book, created by another application,
containing the entries you want...
- Page 73 2. In the Import Address Book dialog box, specify the location and
filename to import. Then click OK.
- Page 74Exporting the Address Book
You can export the Address Book from Desktop Manager to an ASCII text
file. The exported...
- Page 75 • To assign the correct name, drag the titled button to the column
3. When the appropriate names...
- Page 76 You open the Cover Page Designer from either the Windows desktop or
the MultiPASS Desktop Manager.
To open the...
- Page 77Features of the Cover Page Designer Window
This section provides an overview of the basics of the Cover Page
- Page 78 In addition to the buttons, the toolbar also provides you with drop-
down list boxes that enable you to...
- Page 79 6. When you have completed the cover page design, click Save on the File
menu or toolbar. In the...
- Page 80 5. Locate the held fax document and open it in the Document Viewer.
To do so, do one of...
- Page 81 ❏ Drag a field from the variables bin to the desired location in the
❏ On the...
- Page 82 Since the Memo field typically contains multiple lines of information, this
variable field does provide automatic text wrapping. However,...
- Page 83 For fields that are placed in a column, you can align them on the right or
left border of...
- Page 84 To rename the originally opened cover page:
On the File menu, click Rename. In the Rename dialog box, specify...
- Page 85 To define the print setup:
1. With the Cover Page Designer open, on the File menu, click Print
- Page 86 • To print the cover page, click Print.
• To enlarge or reduce the view size, click Zoom In...
- Page 875-36 PC Faxing Chapter 5
- Page 88 Chapter 6
This chapter provides information and instructions for scanning with
❏ Overview of Scanning ................................................................................
- Page 89Overview of Scanning
You can use the L60 to scan documents from the Desktop Manager, or from
a TWAIN-compliant Windows...
- Page 90 Toolbar Scan Options
Preview Area Tabs
The toolbar provides buttons for performing certain tasks when...
- Page 91 ❏ Status Bar
The status bar displays information about the status of the scan
process. The information can include...
- Page 92 3. In the ScanGear window, specify the following preview scan options
for your document as needed: Scan Mode, Scan...
- Page 93 3. In the ScanGear window, specify the following preview scan options
for your document as needed: Scan Mode, Scan...
- Page 94 • Black and White
Black and white images are scanned at one bit per pixel. For
applications that request...
- Page 95 To create a custom scan resolution:
1. In the Scan Resolution list box, select Custom.
2. In the Custom...
- Page 96 Changing a Custom Resolution
Once you have set a custom resolution, you can change it.
To change a custom...
- Page 97Setting Preferences
You can select a preference that governs how your source image is
Text Enhanced is designed for...
- Page 98 n Because the L60 does not scan in colour, the Canon ColorGear™ Colour
Matching option has no effect upon your...
- Page 99Setting Black and White Options
If you choose black and white as your scan mode, you also choose one of...
- Page 100Clearing the Preview Area
In case the preview image does not serve your purpose, you can quickly
remove it from...
- Page 101Adjusting the Selection Size
When you first preview an image, the selection size is the same as the
- Page 102 3. To draw the selected area, click Crop on the toolbar and drag
diagonally across an area of the...
- Page 103 To create a mirror image of the preview image:
On the toolbar, click Mirror.
Rotating an Image
- Page 104Adjusting the Tone of the Preview Image
The tone of an image is its shading and combination of colours. Adjusting...
- Page 105 ❏ Toolbar
With the buttons on the toolbar, you can access settings which affect
different aspects of image tone,...
- Page 106Adjusting Contrast and Brightness
You can adjust the contrast and/or brightness of a greyscale image.
To adjust the contrast or...
- Page 107Changing Gamma Curve Values
With the Gamma curve you can change the mid-tones of the image to
increase its contrast,...
- Page 108Adjusting Histogram Tone Levels
You can use a histogram tool to adjust the tone shadow for the preview
- Page 109 When you adjust the white-point, all tones in the image lighter than the
selected white-point are adjusted to white....
- Page 110 2. In the Open dialog box, select the file name you want to load. Click
Using Tone Curves...
- Page 111 Using a Custom Tone Curve
If you want to experiment with tones, you can create a custom tone
- Page 112 2. To add a handle to the tone curve, click on or near the curve.
3. To move a...
- Page 113 If you use threshold as your scan option, since it is by definition a high
contrast image mode, you...
- Page 114 Documents in the
Working with Documents in the
This chapter contains...
- Page 115Managing Your Documents in the Desktop
Once you send a PC fax, receive a fax, or scan an image,...
- Page 116 Documents in the
Printing a Document in the Desktop Manager
You can print a document...
- Page 117Working with Jobs in the Out Box Folder
For each PC fax you send a job is created in the...
- Page 118 Documents in the
❏ Send a PC fax that has been scheduled for sending later,...
- Page 119 The Desktop Manager continues to try sending the fax until the
transmission is successful or the Desktop Manager exceeds...
- Page 120 Documents in the
Sending a Scheduled, Held, Failed, or Stopped PC Fax
A PC fax...
- Page 121Creating a Folder
To better organise your documents in the MultiPASS Desktop Manager,
you can create additional folders. When you...
- Page 122 Documents in the
To move a document:
1. In either Document View or List View,...
- Page 123Renaming a Document or Folder
You can rename a user-defined folder or a document except in the Out
- Page 124 Documents in the
Deleting a Document or Folder
You can delete a document or user-defined...
- Page 125Emptying the Trash Folder
If you moved documents to the Trash folder, the documents remain in
the folder until you...
- Page 126 Documents in the
3. In the Import Tiff File dialog box, specify the drive, directory,...
- Page 127Attaching a Document to Electronic Mail (E-mail)
If you have a MAPI-compatible e-mail application installed on your system,
- Page 128 Documents in the
Scrolling Through a Multi-page Document
You scroll through a multiple-page document to...
- Page 129Splitting a Document
You can split a document into two documents. You can split a document
from any page after...
- Page 130 Documents in the
Annotating a Document
You can open a document to view its contents,...
- Page 131 To open a document in the Document Viewer:
In the Desktop Manager, do one of the following:
- Page 132 Documents in the
Features of the Document Viewer Window
This section provides an overview of...
- Page 133 In addition to the buttons, the toolbar also provides you with a drop-
down list box that enables you...
- Page 134 Documents in the
❏ Page Panel
The page panel contains a number of buttons, one...
- Page 135 Changing the Document Orientation
You may need to rotate a document for easier reading. For example, the
- Page 136 Documents in the
Adjusting the Image Display
For ease of viewing and better visibility, you...
- Page 137 Reviewing Information About the Document Image
As a reference, you can display information about the document
currently displayed in...
- Page 138 Documents in the
panel for a
- Page 139 ❏ On the Annotation Panel, click the White Out tool.
At the desired location on the displayed page, drag...
- Page 140 Documents in the
2. In the Choose Stamp dialog box, select the desired stamp from...
- Page 141 To create a drawing object:
1. On the annotation panel, click the drawing object tool : Arrow/Line,
- Page 142 Documents in the
Revising Your Annotations
Once you have created annotations in your document, you...
- Page 143 To change the layered position of an annotation:
Select the annotation and do one of the following:
- Page 144 Documents in the
Saving All or Part of a Base Page of Your Document
- Page 145 Removing an Annotation
If you decide you no longer want an annotation to appear in your
document, you can...
- Page 146 Documents in the
2. In the Export dialog box, specify the drive, directory, filename, and...
- Page 1477-34 Working with Documents in the Desktop Manager Chapter 7
- Page 148 Chapter 8
L60 Setup and Other Utilities in the
Other Utilities in the
- Page 149Setting Up L60 Options in the Desktop
The Desktop Manager contains setup options that define the operation of
- Page 150 The following instructions summarise the procedures for changing the L60
setup options in the Desktop Manager. For additional information,...
- Page 151Setting Up Preferences
You can change the following options on the Preferences tab.
❏ Date Format
You select the format...
- Page 152 When you select this option, the Phone command (on the File menu
and toolbar) becomes available in the Desktop...
- Page 153 ❏ Phone Line
You specify the dialling method the L60 will use: touch tone or rotary
pulse. You also...
- Page 154 Other Utilities in the
L60 Setup and
You set the transmission speed used to send...
- Page 155 ❏ Off Hook Alarm
You select this option to turn on the alarm if the telephone handset is
- Page 156 ❏ M-Key (United Kingdom only) (E-Key—Spain only)
You may be planning on using an alternative long-distance phone
- Page 157Setting Up Receive Fax Options
You can change the following options on the Receive Fax tab.
❏ Paper Size
- Page 158 • Automatically receive only fax calls
• Require you to manually answer the incoming call and then set
- Page 159 Restoring the Default Settings
After making changes, to restore the default settings for the options, click
- Page 160 ❏ Error Correction (ECM)
You select this option to reduce system and line errors when receiving
a fax. With...
- Page 161 ❏ Answering Machine Mode Options
You use this option only if: you set the receive mode on the Receive...
- Page 162 Other Utilities in the
L60 Setup and
Assigning an Individual Recipient to a Speed Dial Code
- Page 163 To add a recipient to the Address Book:
1. Click New.
2. In the New Individual Entry dialog box,...
- Page 164 4. In the Speed Dial list box, select the first recipient and click Add.
Repeat this procedure until the...
- Page 165 To place a phone call from the Desktop Manager:
1. In the Desktop Manager, click Phone on the File...
- Page 166 5. When the Dialling Phone dialog box displays, you are prompted to
pick up the handset.
If you want...
- Page 167Using the Minimized Status Monitor
The minimized Status Monitor appears as a button on the Windows
desktop in the taskbar....
- Page 168 To open the menu on the Status Monitor window:
Click the right mouse button in the Status Monitor window....
- Page 169 ❏ Receiving Fax
This status indicates the L60 is receiving a fax document. The Status
Monitor window displays the...
- Page 170 If you decide you need to disconnect the L60 from the designated port
and/or attach another device to the...
- Page 171Removing MultiPASS Background from StartUp
Closing the MultiPASS Background does not remove it from the Windows
StartUp group. If you...
- Page 172 To restart the MultiPASS Background :
1. On the Windows desktop, click Start and then point to Programs.
- Page 173Disconnecting the L60
You can disconnect the L60 if you want to use the parallel port for another
- Page 174 The MultiPASS Diagnostics displays a message indicating if all tests
were performed successfully. Messages appear suggesting solutions
- Page 175Uninstalling the Desktop Manager
You remove the L60 printer and fax drivers, as well as uninstall the
Desktop Manager software....
- Page 176 To complete the uninstall process:
Once you have deleted the drivers, the Desktop Manager, and the scan
- Page 1778-30 L60 Setup and Other Utilities in the Desktop Manager Chapter 8
- Page 178 Chapter 9
Frequently Asked Questions
This chapter contains information for questions you may have when
operating Desktop Manager with...
- Page 179Faxes Are Not Being Sent Correctly.
❏ Is the operation panel blank?
You might have a power problem. Check that...
- Page 180 ❏ Full paper supply
❏ Whether the fax unit is a G3 machine
❏ Whether the unit supports ECM...
- Page 181 ❏ Are you receiving faxes but the faxes have errors?
In the Advanced Receive Fax setup options dialog box,...
- Page 182 ❏ Is the L60 warm to the touch?
The unit might have overheated and shut down. Turn the unit...
- Page 183 ❏ Desktop Manager
In the Desktop Manager, on the Setup menu, click Receive Fax. On the
Receive Fax tab,...
- Page 184Paper Is Not Loading Correctly.
❏ Does paper not load into the unit?
The multi-purpose tray might contain too many...
- Page 1859-8 Frequently Asked Questions Chapter 9
- Page 186 Appendix A
Whenever entering or setting up a fax or phone number in the Desktop
- Page 187A-2 Fax/Phone Characters Appendix A
- Page 188 Glossary
Software prepared for a specific function or set of functions. Examples
of an application program include...
- Page 189 D
A system setting incorporated at the factory and permanently registered
application. Also, a value or a...
- Page 190 PC fax
An electronic way to send and receive faxes from your computer. A PC
fax is sent from...
- Page 191G-4 Glossary
- Page 192 Index
Active job of documents in Document View 7-14
stopping in the Out Box folder 7-6 Attaching...
- Page 193Cover Page Designer Document tasks
opening and closing 5-25 annotating 7-17
overview of the window features 5-26 arranging in Document...
- Page 194E Fax/phone characters
E-mail using in the Desktop Manager A-1
attaching a document in the Desktop Folder
Manager 7-14 creating...
- Page 195I List View
Idle status described 4-10
for the Status Monitor 8-21
Image tone. See Scan tone M
- Page 196Paper options reversing the tone 6-15
setting a custom size in the printer rotating an image 6-16
driver 3-8 scaling...
- Page 197Remove a page moving an image 6-15
from a document 7-15 reversing the tone 6-15
Renaming rotating an image 6-16...
- Page 198Send Fax setup Tone curves
for the L60 8-5 using to adjust scan tone 6-22
Sending Fax status Tone graph...
- Page 199Volume setup 8-5
concealing a region of a document 7-25
- Page 200